HOT SPRINGS -- The City of Hot Springs is now accepting applications for 17 positions on advisory boards and commissions. All applicants must be registered voters of the city (unless otherwise specified). The application deadline for all positions is 5 p.m. on Friday, October 17, 2014. Board and commission members are appointed by the Board of Directors and meet in the City Hall Board Chambers, 133 Convention Boulevard. Applications are available online at www.cityhs.net or in the Office of the City Clerk, 133 Convention Boulevard. For more information please call Leslie Kauffman in the Office of the City Clerk, 321-6805.
• Four openings for city residents on the Airport Advisory Committee. This committee assists the Airport Manager and City Manager in the development and review of airport operating policies and procedures. Meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month at 4 p.m.
• One opening for city residents on the Animal Control Advisory Committee. This committee assists the Animal Services Department in evaluating policies and procedures including public education efforts concerning responsible pet ownership and meets as needed.
• Three openings for city residents on the Arts Advisory Committee, whose responsibilities are to review and recommend placement of permanent art at
publicly-owned facilities in the city; to assist in the organization and promotion of temporary art exhibits at publicly-owned facilities; and to assist in the securing of private grant funding and art donations for permanent art displays at public buildings in the city. Meetings are held in the City Hall Board Chambers on an as-needed basis.
• One opening on the Community Development Advisory Committee. Residents must reside in Board District 2 to be eligible to serve. The committee evaluates and establishes operating policies and procedures for CDBG Entitlement Program and meets the first Thursday of the month at 1 p.m.
• Two openings on the Historic District Commission, which oversees historic district rules and regulations. Applicants must be owners of real property, or officers or stockholders of owners of real property, or business owners, or officers or stockholders of businesses within the Central Avenue Historic District or the Pleasant Street Historic District (one opening for each district).
• One opening on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee. This committee provides guidance and oversight in the City’s parks and recreation programming, planning and policy development. Meetings are held the third Thursday of the month at 5 p.m.
• Three openings on the Planning Commission, which reviews all land development proposals within the City and subdivisions outside the corporate limits to insure compliance with the zoning code. The commission meets the second Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. One opening is available for residents from Board District 6. Two openings are available for residents that reside in the planning area, but outside the city limits.
• One opening for city residents on the Transportation Advisory Committee. This committee assists the Board of Directors and City Staff in the establishment of policies for the City’s public transit system and public transportation issues of a general nature. Meetings are held as needed at the Transportation Depot.
• One opening for city residents on the Urban Forestry Committee. This committee promotes, protects, and enhances the beauty, environmental benefits and general welfare of the Hot Springs urban forest. Meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7 in the Engineering Department Conference Room in City Hall.