Whether you’re enjoying the crisp fall weather with bonfires and roasted marshmallows, or burning a pile of raked leaves, the Hot Springs Fire Department warns that the use of gasoline, kerosene, and other accelerants can quickly turn a small fire into a dangerous, possibly life-threatening one. The use of accelerants can increase the risk associated with fire, leading to rapid spread and possible explosion. Each year thousands of people are injured or killed in fires involving gasoline alone.
Examples of common accelerants include gasoline, kerosene, turpentine, ethanol and methanol. None of these or other extremely flammable liquids should be added to a fire.
When starting an outdoor fire, follow these safety tips:
- Obtain a proper burn permit (Hot Springs Fire Department).
- Only yard waste can be burned (limbs, leaves, etc.).
- Never use accelerants to start a fire.
- Only burn dry material. Damp material produces more smoke when burned.
- Keep fire away from buildings, fences, telephone wires and trees.
- Avoid lighting fires on windy or dry days.
- Keep a water supply nearby.
- Keep children and pets a safe distance away.
- Put the fire out completely before leaving it.
If a fire becomes out of control or someone sustains an injury from fire, call 911 immediately.
If you have questions regarding outside burning, contact the Hot Springs Fire Department, 321-6972.